View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife
Default Re: New to Hookah...few questions

[FONT=Verdana]I personally use 3-kings more than any other charcoal. When I first started smoking they were the coals I started with, and although I've tried numerous coals (from quick lights, to silver coated briquettes, to naturals), I mostly stick to three kings. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It really depends on what tobacco you're using and the type of bowl you have. For example:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. Traditional Egyptian bowl: I use one three kings charcoal in 1 solid piece, and place it around the edges, I move it along the perimeter during the session, and finally place it in the middle for the last few minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. Tangiers Phunnel: Either 1 three king broken in half, or 2 coconut/silver coated briquettes placed around the perimeter, and rotated frequently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I also use a wind cover to manage heat. The biggest mistake I've seen from beginners is adding more charcoal onto the bowl when the original one starts ashing over and losing heat. This not only takes up more surface area (and burns more tobacco) but it restricts airflow as well. This is where a wind cover comes in handy; just by placing it over the bowl you give yourself less heat loss and allows you to stay with that original coal for a longer period of time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]When you're lighting the charcoal, it will first spark up all around. After it's done sparking, I use a lighter to give off some heat all around the charcoal, and then I lightly blow on it, until its red hot all over (i.e. no black spots). I will usually wait till it has a light layer of white ash on top, and then I'll place it on the bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I think this should clarify some things for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hookah Life[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]