View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hookah Newbie
Send a message via AIM to cghtnthndrtw
Default Re: Cops have my hookah

Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
A) Back up your statements.

B) If you think the police are the major issue then go someplace else.

C) Yes I am comfortable. Try living in some place without a police force or god forbid a truly corrupt one. Go take your chances in Darfur and tell me what happens when you call the cops. We are lucky to live a comfortable and privileged life. There are countless people in the world that would give anything to have the life that we lead in this country.

D) I didn't bring it up because it was not topical before this point but stop generalizing. It's insulting to us that have family in the police force to hear people bash them so badly and treat them like they are all corrupt and evil people. There are bad people in all groups and organizations but the few do not define the many. Hatred is never an acceptable answer.

Bottom line. Public servants deserve our respect. Police put them selves in an extremely risky life and get bashed for doing so. The ARMED FORCES includes all of our government organizations that are allowed and required to carry or operate firearms or weaponry.

"The armed forces of a country are its government-sponsored defense, fighting forces, and organizations. They exist to further the foreign and domestic policies of their governing body, and to defend that body and the nation it represents from external and internal aggressors."

The police are the definition of our armed forces. Read a book.

Edit: I am not your bro.
Back up my statements? You just threw a quote into your post without any reference to the source. For all I know that line is something entirely of your own imagination. I just so happen to know that you pulled this from Wikipedia. If you had actually bothered to read the article you might have noticed that it goes on to describe the various branches.

"In most countries the armed forces are divided into three or four forces: an army, a navy, an air force, and often a gendarmerie or a paramilitary police force."

The only two classifications that civilian police forces might be confused with are the gendarmerie or paramilitary catagories. If we look at the definitions for each we find that both make the distinction that they differ from civilian police forces as the are state run (not localized) and have some degree of military training.

"A gendarmerie or gendarmery (pronounced /dʒɛnˈdɑrməriː/, or /ˌʒɑndɑrməˈriː/ after the French) is a military body charged with police duties among civilian populations. The members of such a body are called gendarmes. The term maréchaussée (or marshalcy) can also be used (e.g., Royal Marechaussee) but is now uncommon, except in the Netherlands."

"A paramilitary is a force whose function and organization are similar to those of a professional military force, but which is not regarded as having the same status.........(an example of which would be) Auxiliary services of regular armed forces, such as the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary and the Civil Air Patrol"

Police forces in the United States are locally run by counties, they are not a part of the federal state system and do not fall into this classification. The fact that they are becoming more integrated is a cause for concern in my opinion.

I am not saying that cops are evil. I do not, however, have much respect for the current system. I'm not hateful of the individuals working for the system, but I do think that the system has some room for change. I do very much love my country which is why it pains me to see our rights and freedoms being slowly eroded day after day.

Also from Wikipedia:

"Numerous human rights observers have raised concerns about increased police brutality in the U.S. in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center. An extensive report prepared for the United Nations Human Rights Committee tabled in 2006 states that in the United States, the "War on Terror" has "created a generalized climate of impunity for law enforcement officers, and contributed to the erosion of what few accountability mechanisms exist for civilian control over law enforcement agencies. As a result, police brutality and abuse persist unabated and undeterred across the country."[12]"

Some articles for reading:

And you're quite obviously not my bro, it's a derogatory figure of speak as you're no doubt aware.

Last edited by cghtnthndrtw; December 8th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.