Thread: km not so good
View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: km not so good

Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
LOL this kills me. KM's can do no wrong don't blame the hookah. However, if he had come on here and said I got this cheap Chinese imitation made to look like a MYA and it gets harsh you would all be like oh man get a KM and you won't have that trouble. The most likely culprit here is as Dunkel said that the KM has a greater air flow which would cause the coals to burn a bit hotter. You will need to make adjustments a different bowl, or different coal or hole configuration than what you are used to maybe. Not all Hookahs are made alike. It only stands to reason that differences in make and air flow etc will bring about a need to think on your feet and adapt. I would say before you go out and buy other parts try using fewer holes maybe experiment with the square patterns John used in his older videos. I believe it was 6 holes in a square pattern slightly larger than the coals. That might help. The solution might also be to put in more holes so as to allow enough air flow to let some of the heat escape. That is a matter of experimentation.

You have already bought into the KMliness is next to Godliness so don't give up the dream.
I've found that the mostly likely explanation for a bad session is a poor setup, poor heat management or smoking methods. Most Americans tend to smoke a narghile like they would chain smoke cigarettes so they can make huge clouds which results in hotter smoke and less flavour. Little rigs always smoke hotter/harsher and poor heat management just makes a bad situation worse.

When it comes to Chinese rigs i've found that typically new smokers buy them because they are small, cheap and newbies don't know any better. As a result, they fail to pack the bowl right, use crappy coals or don't manage the heat too well making for a shit session.

Owning a KM (or anything else) will not give you a good session if you don't use the rig properly. Proper use is basically a matter of experience and since most American smokers haven't been into the hobby for long they make alot of mistakes.

Still, the bottom line is that any well made Egptian or Syrian rig can give far better performance then any Chinese rig for the simples reasons that the former are made by people that use and care about narghiles rather then just some huge factory using slave labour.