View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Syrian or Lebanesse?

Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
This post is stupid, the only reason Lebanon exists is because of Sykes-Picot, the cultures and dialect and food are basically the exact same.

What I'm saying is, if its Lebanese, its Syrian, if its Syrian, its Lebanese.

You can make it easy on yourself, give up and trying to find which side of the mountains it came from and just call it a Levantine Hookah.
I think I'll have to agree with you on the matter of Sykes-Picot. As much as I like Lebanese classical musicians and John from CH the Syrian argument seems better supported to me on the nationality issue. Of course it could be convincingly argued that it doesn't matter since in practical terms Syria won't be able to gain any more territory. Also, since I know a lot more Syrians then Lebanese I will admit that that that has influenced my thinking but I try to be objective about these sorts of things.

Anyway, i've not spent enough time in Lebanon to get a good since as to how much difference in style and production methods exist but from what little I have seen it seems like the differences are minor to nonexistent.

Looking at the pic BigE put up my guess is that it's a Syrian but as photolinger said I think it's a meaningless distinction.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; February 6th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.