View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Is our hobby going to vannish?

Originally Posted by sammniamii
I don't see hookah as dieing off, but perhaps slacking back down to the same level as say 10 years ago.

Many different reasons, most of them have pushed Nargile to the level of "fad" status - when many realize the time and money really spent, it will fade alittle. But you will have the few from before as well as some new "blood" that embrace it - no matter how new age it tries to become. Many people do enjoy the ritual of the set-up - those will be the life blood.

As to the tobacco taxes, bans and such not.... as much as so many people scream bloody murder at it - it hasn't disappeared yet. Tobacco, in one form or another, has been around for a LONG time. It still is a "cash crop". If they were to outlaw tobacco - half of the American Ecomony (more so than it already is, mind you) would collaspe. Alot of money is tied into Tobacco. As such, it won't completely disappear, atleast for a good long time.

When it is no longer a "money making" item or becomes a true "margin loss" comodity, then it will die off.

Think about it this way - more people die each year becasue of Alcholo or alcholo related activies than smoking. Have they outlawed booze yet?
I think I agree with you that those of who donít mind the setup/cleaning/heat management thing will be the ones willing to stay with it. I guess the popularity of the whole shisha thing still has room to grow before it declines but I donít know what the end result will be although I assume it will be at least as big as regular pipe use so I guess things should be better then what my pal predicts.

As to the tax thing I donít think that tobacco will disappear but we all know that the public smoking bans are going to be nearly universal and that it will be a lot more expensive to smoke do to taxes. The anti-tobacco lobby has hurt the economy a lot but in the end they have a lot more political clout then we do and Congress will be more then happy to watch the industry lay offs go through then be seen as an ally of the tobacco industry. Itís funny in that tax revenue from tobacco has been dropping like a rock for decades as a result of the anti-smoking lobby yet the government is would be more likely to build a monument of Saddam Hussein then go back to the tobacco policies of the Ď50s.