Thread: My Idea
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hookah Nut
Send a message via AIM to AbusiveNapkin
Default My Idea

Before you read, I do not know if there has been a thread for an idea like this one. I ask to refrain from flames, as I am new to this site.

So here's my idea:

The goal: Super-chilling the base of the hookah without having it crack/break.
The plan: Using an alternate method of chilling which does not break the vase.

According to my research, glass is 'safe' at lower temperatures, but when it gets to higher temperatures, meaning 600-900 degrees F. I found no such information about glass shattering at a point at freezing.

The items:
Liquid nitrogen: -321 degrees F.
Much too cold to handle safely, let alone breathing a liquid being chilled to that extent.
From that video, you can see what happens when water meets liquid nitrogen.

Dry Ice: -109.3 degrees F.
I'm rather curious what happens when you put a stick of dry ice in the vase. What happens when you don't have the dry ice in direct contact with the vase.

So here's my plan, using a double boiler, only on a larger scale. Put the hookah in the smaller ***, along with room temperature water. In the second, larger ***. Add several sticks of dry ice, and room temperature water. Fill the smaller *** 1/2 way WITH the vase in the bowl, so you don't spill any water you displace it when the vase. And the larger bowl should only be filled about 1/4 of the way after you put the smaller *** in.

One thing I need to make clear, I HAVE NOT tried this before. And I cannot be held responsible for anything that goes wrong with your procedure or your equipment.

What do you all think about this? It's a questionable idea, but please refrain from flaming.