View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Random questions about shisha....

1- How to you know when the tabacco is finished
I guess the best way to explain this, is when you are not getting any flavor and are getting some really nasty smoke. You will be able to tell by the taste of the tobacco, it will change from a smoke (even if it is flavorless) to something totally different in taste. If you look under the foil you will also see that it is very black and dry.

2- How do you not burn the tabacco
Don't over pack the bowl! Try to keep at least an eighth of an inch between the tobacco and the foil. Along with packing the bowl you can also help keep if from burning by keeping your coals on the very outer edges of the bowl, especially when you are working with fresh coals! Rotate them about every 10 to 15 minutes. Also, don't overdue it on the coals, I generally will use 1.5 of a quicklight, or 3 japanese coals, or 3 one inch pieces of Exoticas when I smoke. I will adjust the heat by moving in our out, or by removing a piece of the coal. As the coals get smaller, after about 45 minutes, you can move them in towards the center and get some more out of the bowl. If you have a windcover you could use that when the coals are really small and get some good flavorful smoke out of the little coals!

3- the most random of them all... i have smoked hookah for some time now, but how strong is the smoke really supposed to taste
It really depends on how much coal you have, what brand of coal, what kind of tobacco, how clean your hookah is, etc. Also, people have different likings for taste and smoke amount. I like to go for taste, so I will carefully monitor the coals and get a good amount of smoke without sacrificing the flavor. It takes time and sometimes it feels like you will never get there! I remember when I had lots of trouble! But once you learn the heat management portion you will be well on your way to adjusting for major smoke, or for major flavor, or somewhere in between. Just practice, practice, practice! and CLEAN your hookah! A good clean hookah will keep your smoke from being negatively impacted by nasty flavors that lurk in your hookah when you don't clean it well. There is a how to cleaning video I made on you tube that should help you with that as well ...

How To Clean Your Hookah - Part I -
How To Clean Your Hookah - Part II -

__________________ - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon .. powered by Elites!