View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
It doesn't have to mention anything other than cigarettes. Just like the law they wanted to pass to ban 50 caliber guns (like the Barrett). For those who don't know much about guns and see the media crap where they show guys blasting through old car bodies from a mile away, it sounds like a good idea to them. Those scary 50 caliber weapons, no normal person needs one of those! The truth is if that bill was passed they would also take away 50 caliber and bigger black powder/muzzleloaders. These weapons are used by millions of hunters and do not have a range of a mile or more, but due the the size of the projectile they would be lumped in the same category. What I'm saying is a law that doesn't spell out exactly what is targeted, is open for interpretation. I for one do not want the government to interpret anything. They are ham handed, short sighted bastards, at best.
I will note that not a single crime as ever been committed with a .50 caliber round and such an occurance is very unlikely for reasons obvious to anyone that has thought about it for a minute or and is honest.

The truth is that the bill it self calls for a ban on the sale and and production of flavoured tobacco. If anyone thinks that federal regulatory agency will decide to say something like "well i'm sure the congress/Obama wouldn't want to stop hookah smokers from having fun" I have some valuable lunar real estate that's going fast so you'd better give me your down payment!

A lot you guys seem to think that anti-tobacco policies won't effect you but only people that like cigarettes or cigars. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The tobacco prohibition lobby would prefer to ban tobacco out right but baring that there are for ever greater taxes, regulations and restrictions which is almost the same a ban. If you haven't noticed this yet you need wake up and pay attention.

Some people think bans and prohibitive taxes can't happen because lots of people like tobacco. The reality is that most people don't smoke and a large minority believes you shouldn't be allowed to. The media and Congress hate the tobacco industry and the reality is that they simply don't have the clout to do much about what is happening. Besides, most smokers are pretty apathetic so they sit back and take what ever oppression comes along without complaint.