View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

Originally Posted by Murkmastur View Post
Phew!...I don't mind a flavored cigarette or cigarillo every once in a while, but if they go away, no loss here..I couldn't live without shisha or pipe tobacco though. People are a bit hypocritical for saying the tobacco industry is responsible for kids showing an interest in cigarettes, when health classes teach kids all the time NOT to go near them. Reverse psychology says that doing that pretty much says "go ahead" to those who are truly curious, right?
The thing is that it doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else thinks about snuff, cigarettes, pipes, cigars or what ever form of tobacco we can think of because the people that want to ban tobacco or tax it out of existence don't differentiate between any of it. They simply don't believe that you should be allowed to consume tobacco and they will we use their political influence to force the government into NOT LETTING YOU DECIDE THE MATTER FOR YOURSELF.

In reality the anti-tobacco lobby doesn't care about kids per say and no one that has thought about it for a few minutes thinks that higher tobacco taxes will pay for anyone's health care. Instead, all this blather about "saving the children" is simply a way to sell higher taxes and bans to the ignorant segments of the population and Congress. After all, who wants to be accused of "not caring what happens the children"?

The same basic strategy is used to censor the internet, authorize torture, invade other countries and ban guns. Fear mongering, specially when it comes "saving the children" or "protecting democracy" works every time.