View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

Originally Posted by stolenbythesky View Post
I'm what you might call a left-wing college kid. Actually, that's exactly what I am.

This bill, and similar bills, have been passed around in congress for the better part of 40 years and NEVER passed. It has nothing to do with liberal/conservative congress, ecological damage, "saving the children", what have you. This is big business, this is the American way, and you're only kidding yourself if you don't think the tobacco lobby has enough say in Congress to override this bill, as they have for the past 40 years.
The bill in question (or something similar) hasn't been around for 40 years since the rise of flavoured tobacco is a recent thing so I guess you're simply presuming that the tobacco industry has some strangle hold on Congress that it doesn't. It's pretty clear that you haven't been paying attention to the rhetoric used to promote the bill in question or the SCHIP tax scheme or else you'd have noted the "save the children" pablum. Still, if it makes you feel better to pretend that the people pushing this sort of thing aren't working for tobacco prohibition irregardless of what they have said so be it. As to the tobacco industry I suppose you think they were stunningly effective in beating the SCHIP tax scheme and equally brilliant at defeating smoking bans, that they haven't been forced to pay for anti-tobacco campaigns and that add restrictions never happened. I guess I just got confused when I thought that cigarette machines got banned because that wasn't supposed to happen either. A couple more victories like that the industry will cease to exist. But hey, the bill in question can't pass because, well, just because.