View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: i need some help in making a hookah purchase

Originally Posted by intineus View Post
Something to keep in mind about the glass base of the KM's....each one will be different because each one is hand painted. The base of the KM you get will be the same color but might not necessarily have that same design on it. Also, when you're choosing a hookah, if you are looking for something that is flawless (can't see the welds/imperfections) you probably want to go with a MYA because they are machine made. If you are looking for something hand made that may or may not show slight imperfections, you should go with a KM or a syrian brass hookah. The KM's are one solid long piece which depending on how you want to look at it is one of its best quialities or worst qualties. It will make it harder to clean but it's also a much more solid design.

Another important aspect you want to consider is the number of hoses. KM and syrian brass hookahs normally come with one hose and a purge valve. You can find multi hose KM's but they're pretty pricey. If money is not an issue than I guess this doesn't really apply to you, but just something to keep in mind.
handmade is something he will appreciate, imperfections and all. i'm sure he'd like one traditional and handmade versus one machine manufactured.

we decided we only need one hose, we arent partiers and dont mind sharing with friends.

Originally Posted by FirePro84 View Post
Phunnel bowls are nice, i have two and a myriad of standard clay and ceramic bowls and use them all. *the phunnels are nice because you dont get the shisha juice in the stems of the hookah as easily. *great for wetter brands of tobacco like some starbuzz and fantasia for sure.

i reccomend the phunnel bowls from MNH:

they also do Jet Glass bowls in different designs on a limited quantity...if you dont want to spend that much the Tangiers ones are just as good, just not as neat looking :-)

as far as hookah goes, i love my Mya Bambino (small round one) but i just got a limited Nour with hand painted vase that is simply amazing...great draw, easy to clean, beautiful looks, great smoke...both are great pieces and smoke well...the only one i have yet to try is a KM which is next on my list...the standard Syrian Hookahs have a 'tighter' draw when smoking, not really my style, but the one i have smokes well other than having to pull more when trying to get smoke out of it.

as far as tobacco, i like mint, melon, and berry flavors...Starbuzz Citrus Mint and WildBerry Mint are nice, Fumari Citrus Mint and Blackberry are great, Fantasia Sweet Red Melon is great, Fusion Sour Apple is great if you dont like the Anise flavored double apple...the list goes on, you can find the favs from my stash here if you're interested:

for coals, i usually use QL's, the ones from ********** are great, i also use the Belgian ones in the black foil (name escapes me right now).

hope that helps ya out some...he's gonna have a great birthday! does he know what he's getting or is it gonna be a surprise?

you have the hookah we have! i just didnt know it was called a pumpkin so thanks for the link haha

i'll probably end up buying one of those glass bowls, i like the look of blown glass a lot.

i'd prefer something without a tight draw, something he's complained about before with ours.

and thanks to everyone for the replies, i really appreciate the input.

i'll make sure to post a picture when we get all of it