Thread: April 1st tax
View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hookah Nut
Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj
Default Re: April 1st tax

Anti-Tobacco lobbyists can't convince anyone to full out ban tobacco, so they work this way. This particular increase isn't too bad in terms of money, but I get the feeling it'll keep going up until no one can afford to smoke. What burns me is what this tax is going to. People keep saying "You people are costing the health care system money, so you deserve to pay for it. This tax is perfectly fair since it's going to fund health care." What they don't realize is that the tax money is going to give Children health insurance. Can someone explain why we should pay for other people's children to have heath coverage? If it were a general tax, I'd have no problem paying a small additional tax for it, but it targets smokers, a group who have NOTHING to do with children. Why not legalize other things (which they are talking about doing) and take the estimated $77 billion cash swing ($44bil not spent on enforcement and $33 bil in taxes) and pay for it?

It's anti-tobacco lobbyists trying to force us to stop smoking again... sigh.

Last edited by GuardianOfFreyj; March 31st, 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Sorry, forgot about the filters...