View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hookah Guru
Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Nicotine and Tar in shisha...

Originally Posted by reality- View Post
really...? I read this from another user as well, in this thread.. You guys can smoke a bowl of shisha without burning it? No mine doesnt taste burnt at all but of course after maybe 45 mins to hour the shisha is done.. and when you look at it, its burnt.. Right?

I have no idea really how you smoke a bowl and keep it from beeing used? Yes its true that the shisha doesnt burn but afterwards it is pitchblack and hard and like dead... right ?
you are right, it is black and hard when finished. it smolders, it does not burn. it doesn't turn to ash. refer to this quote for more a direct and technical answer.

Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
its not burned though, same idea with charcoal, you do not burn the wood to make charcoal, you heat it to the point where all the volatile substances in it will off gas. look at a cig, western pipe, or cigar and look at what is left over, gray light ash and not much of it where as in a hookah you have the same amount of material there just dry

if you put a piece of paper in a 425*F container it would change and probably char some but it would not catch fire since its flash point is 451. as long as the heat is kept below the flash points of the items in the shisha you are not burning it, just steaming/ off gassing stuff out of it

Originally Posted by HookahCody View Post
It also said that he endured 30+ surgeries due to having oral cancer.
sigmund freud lived in the 1800's, and the 1900's. there was literally no cure for anything back then. schizophrenia was "cured" with a lobotomy back then.
(if you don't know what a lobotomy is, look it up in the dictionary.)

Originally Posted by paulk View Post
There is an old test that has been said can sho you the amount of tar in the smoke. Take a draw from your pipe and blow it through a tissue (not the ones that have the lotion in them). If there is a tan or brown stain on the tissue that is tar.

I know this works with cigarettes, I've tried it. Haven't done it with the shisha yet though so not sure what it would show.

Might not even be true. Just somethiing we were told about it High School science.
yep go ahead try it for yourself. take 2 napkins, take a puff of a cig, and blow through 1 napkin. take 200 puffs of hookah and blow through the other napkin. see which one is worse.