View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: What the hell is up with my hookah?

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
hrmm... try a touch less heat... do 2 1" piece of exotica. im sure you do this but: make sure the coals are completly lit.
I typically use coals that are 1.25" long. Will give this a try tonight.

Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
this is gotta be one of the best new member posts ive ever read.
so much info given.

maybe your foil is sinking and burning the tobacco extra? is there tobacco on the foil when youre done?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm quite positive the tobacco isn't burning. I know what that tastes like and that's not what I'm experiencing.

Originally Posted by chrisicool View Post
before I start smoking a bowl I let the shisha roast a bit without pulling on it. Seems to help solidify the top layer of tobacco and allows the other layers of tobacco to roast a lot better
I do this, typically let it set for 2-3 minutes before my first drag.

Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
It sounds like the coals are fine.

Here are some thing I would recommend:
- Check to see if the tobacco is burning to a crisp befroe you put on the second set of coals. Starbuzz takes heat very well up until a certain point - at this point it turns on you immediately. Al Fakher can sometime tend to smoke tingly, even harsh feeling, like a some cigars.
This makes some sense; I typically have massive clouds. But then again, I've had massive clouds and plenty of flavor before.

- What kind of bowl are you using? I would recommend buying a phunnel if you do not have one. A Vortex would work too.
I have no clue what kind of bowl it is. I use the one that came with my hookah. It's about 2.5" across and 0.5" deep. I'll post a picture if that'll help.

- Dry-pull your hose (inhale and see what it tastes like when it is not plugged intot he hookah). If it has a strong flavor that is either offensive or very strong, you need to get a new hose. Or wash it if it is washable. If it is not a Nammor/Razan/Grand hose, it's not washable.
Tried this, barely a hint of lingering flavor. I was under the impression that hoses that came with KMs were washable? I run some water through it about once a week.

I'm going to wait for a few more suggestions and then try another session. Will update with results post-smokage.

Thanks again guys.