View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Do you think Hookahs is a temporary trend or the beginning of the future

A while back I used to own a narghile lounge/record shop which made decent if far from impressive living for me and a few others. We used to get kids playing with the coals and burning themselves, idiots trying to suck the bottom of the bowl without dropping the coals on their faces and other such stupidity. The worst part of owning that place was having to be nice to some slobbering 15 year old hipster or having some college slut hoping to exchange “personal favours” for her bill which happened about twice a month. Still, in the end the teenagers were worse most of the time.

Eventually it dawned on me that asking for ID when then wanted a session wasn’t enough given that teenagers used to hang around too much and I assumed that some of them had fake Ids. Solved the problem by making everyone that wanted to hang out in café section of the shop ( even if they were simply drinking boba teas or what ever ) had to sign a long list of conditions which had to keep on file as legal protection against stupidity.

I’m glad I sold the place.

Still, the hobby has a lot of very interesting people in it which makes it worth while socially. For the most part, in my experience, the idiots hang out in the cafes while the people worth knowing own their own rigs and smoke at home.