View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven
Default Traditional Smoke

Hi guys, just wanted to take the time to tell you about a traditional smoke I am currently having. I had an old package of Salloum unflavoured mo'assel lying around and as most of you know I am very much interested in the more traditional "black" style tobaccos than the more common candy-ish flavours we have here in the States. The Salloum was very dry and hard as a brick, so I knew I had my work cut out for me if I was to restore this mo'assel. I very patiently broke up enough tobacco to fill two bowls and mixed 1/2 teaspoon of honey as well as molasses to moisten and break it up. I then placed it into a zip lock bag and began massaging it with my fingers so that it would be very loose. Then, I sealed the bag and held it under hot water to ensure a good mixture and also to make the tobacco broken up very loosely. After that, I took a pizza cutter and used the wooden end to mash the tobacco, further mixing the molasses and honey into it. After several hours, I then packed it very carefully into an Egyptian bowl and added foil and 3 ******* hookah natural coals with a windcover (this mo'assel needs extreme heat to produce the slightest bit of smoke.) As the bowl began to heat up, it was producing enough smoke to get embarrassed by a cigarette's smoke density. However, the flavour was amazing. Very strong and rich, with a nice spicey complication...hard to figure out. Now, after 10-15 minutes of patience and timing my pulls correctly, the smoke density has reached that of Shooting Star or Desi Murli for those of you who have tried that. The flavour is amazing and is why I enjoy traditional smokes far beyond the sweet and fruity flavours that most are so fond of. I invite you all to look into traditional tobaccos, as this is an experience everyone should at least give a chance. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I encourage replies and questions.

Salam ,

- Mohamed