View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: how to get really smooth smoke.

Originally Posted by cashmere868
what are exotica coals like? are they fingers, or separate coals? i'd love to try them out if you recommend them!
Exotica's are good like others have said, but it's a hassle to light because they are naturals. At least for me it is, because I had to buy a portable stove in order to light them. In all honesty, this depends upon where you smoke, but if you want convenience try Golden Coals. These are quicklights and don't give of any taste whatsoever. Just make sure to wait until they're red hot and a little thin layer of ash formed before putting them on the bowl.

A lot of people don't like quicklights because the say it gives off a chemical taste throughout the session and ruins the taste of the shisha. However Golden coals (which are quicklights) don't. In the past couple of weeks, I've been testing the Golden Coals I usually use, against the Exotica natural coals. Yesterday I even smoked them back to back to get a more accurate comparison. I've found that Golden coals do not taste any worse or better than Exoticas. They both taste the same throughout the session. Neither is better than the other in terms of flavor.

My girlfriend also said the same thing, so it's not just me. This is why I think, for the hassle that's involved if you're not smoking at home, then Golden Coals is the way to go. I don't know where you smoke, if you smoke in the comfort of your own home, then it's up to you wether you want to use natural or quicklights. I on the other hand, smoke outdoors. And I need quality, but convenience as well...