View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife
Default Re: Maybe I'm Wrong....

[FONT=Verdana]Hajo is right; most brands of hookahs produced overseas are not as big of companies as they appear to be. What we've noticed over the last 2 years is similar to GM in the car market in the late 80's and 90's. Companies like KM, MZ, and even MS which are well respected brands known for quality have slowly been taking advantage of that reputation, and beginning to skimp out on quality to save a few bucks. Usually it'll involve just a little bit less thickness on a stem, or poorer quality welds, or hose ports, or cheaply produced glass. It's just poor business practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Jurak isn't carried in the States because it's not part of the States hookah culture. I've bought Jurak before and have offered it to friends (who are seasoned hookah smokers) and they couldn't stand the stuff, and that's how the US markets have reacted and will continue to react.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Until hookahs start getting manufactured in the states (and that's a little tough since material/labor/packaging will induce prohibitive retail prices), you won't see anything new and innovative in the 500 year old tradition.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]We had thought of starting a new line of hookahs 100% US Made, and have a prototype that was built for us, it [FONT=Verdana]is[/FONT] unique, innovative, and well built...but it cost us $300 for a 23" prototype, and the manufactured $/unit would be above $100 just for materials; like I said, prohibitive.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]At this point you'll see new designs coming out, but the fundamental structure will continue to be the same...the biggest things being developed and introduced as Kalutika mentioned are flavors & shisha tobacco brands, and personally a lot of brands that have come out recently are just copy-cats. Every brand has a great flavor, but as a vendor, I won't carry a brand just because one flavor is great and the rest suck, I want something that has consistency and a variety of good flavors. That being said, some flavors that have come out over the last year are just fantastic; most notably IMO is Tangiers Lucid Horchata, just an incredible flavor; it has substituted Nakhla Cherry as my most common smoke.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Guys stay patient, enjoy your sessions, keep experimenting with different flavor combinations, vase liquids, setups, etc; the new products will come out again, the industry just exploded real fast, and it's just stabilizing right now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hookah Life[/FONT]