View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: Rant: Hookah hoses

Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i honestly would probably use a food grade tubing from on line as apposed to what ever i can get at the hard ware store, much easier to get what you want. as to the over flexibility, using tapes to cover the tube to color and reinforce is probably a good way to go (and i dont mean duct tape, gaffers tape would be a god base and then using something else to accent it)

as to the tips, idk if i would want acrylic tips honestly, maybe delrin, granted its more expensive but its nicer just not sure if its food safe.

Tubing kinks when flexed and tape will not really solve that problem. You could try reinforcing it by wrapping it with wire and then taping over that. The problem I have with tapes is the longevity of adhesives, especially when repeatedly exposed to water over a long time. A wrap that is held by cord, like how most of the covered washable hoses are now, avoids that problem. I would prefer using heat shrink to cover a hose but that would get expensive.

Delrin is FDA approved so there isn't much of a concern there. It's fine for conditions a typical hose would see and is more overkill than anything. It is a porous material however, so an acetal copolymer might be a better choice if you really want to use such a plastic. One important thing to keep in mind is that Delrin is a polymerized formaldehyde. When heated or exposed to any strong acid or base, it will release formaldehyde gas. You will probably notice this while machining it so make sure your work area is well ventilated, use compressed air, and don't work it too fast. While it's melting point is higher than anything a hose will see, coals burn hot enough to ignite Delrin, which burns invisible and releases toxic gas.

If you want to be cheap, just buy some acetone and use it to dissolve styrofoam to form polystyrene. The polystyrene will actually be a bit moldable until the acetone evaporates away.

Personally I'd just stick with acrylic.