View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Hungarian Water Pipes

About a year back I was watching some old films about the Austro-Hungarian military in the first world war. I am interested in that subject since I have an ancestor on my mother's side of the family that fought for the Austro-Hungarians and was a fairly famous ace. As I watched the films I noticed that from time to time you'd see these odd pipes that looked a church warden pipe with a small sphere on the bottom and a metal lid on the top. I also noticed that the same sort of pipes popped up in the The Good Soldier Svekj (also spelled Schweik) films which are comedy films from the '60s about a Czech soldier in Austro-Hungarian military in the first world war.

When I went to Pecs (in Hungary) about 6 months ago on business I tried to find out something about them and I found out that the little sphere on the bottom holds water and and that they work narghile in that the water filters the smoke. Although I talked to a lot people and a few tobacconists I couldn't find out much although it seems that that style of pipe isn't popular any longer although apparently it's still used in the Balkans. I could find out anything about the sort of tobacco used in them. Some people I spoke seemed to think that they are called Lula or Lulava but it could have been a language issue since I was talking to native Hungarians and at times the conversations were tough.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows about these things or if they are the same as the water pipes used in the Balkan countries. Also, in the films people used a coal to heat the tobacco but I couldn't see the tobacco so I have no idea if it's Western pipe tobacco, tombac or moassel that they were smoking. If anyone knows anything be sure to post what you've got.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; September 17th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.