View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hookah Master
Default Re: Another Glass tip thread?

Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
I don't know what you're talking about price wise, It would probably cost something ridiculous like that if I went to an American glass blower. Anyway, If I was going to do full production, I already know glass blowers in india, and for something like that it'd be under ten bucks a piece easy.

As far as material goes, pyrex can be over-rated and questionable sometimes. Good glass material now a days is borosilicate and another one that I want to say is schott glass.

And uh... since when does a wooden mouth-piece break when hitting concrete?
pyrex is a trade name for an exact formulation of borosilica glass, its only sketchy if the person working it is lazy or doesnt know what they are doing. as to out sourcing, good luck with that, i wouldnt trust glass coming out of there, the egyptian glass is some of the crappiest garbage i have seen, right now our furnace at school has super crappy glass in it that i wouldnt even try to sell pieces from and its about 10 times better than the standard egyptian junk

Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Pyrex is borosilicate...

Wood can split along the grain and if cut improperly can do so with concussive force. Even if cut properly thin walled wood has a good chance if not treated properly.

If the artist is fast they may be able to make one in an hour. Considering the cost of materials, the cost to run the furnace for the full time needed (heating the glass to working temp, work time and tempering) and other misc cost you are paying the artist a couple bucks an hour if it's a ten dollar tip. That is not what they deserve.

If you want to outsource you are going to deal with the possibility of questionable materials and minimum orders. Also that whole sweat shop thing. But That's only an issue if you have morals.
for lamp working you wont be using a furnace just a torch and an electronic anealer, neither of those cost much to operate but your right there is still operating cost. a good glass worker though should be able to pull out more than 1 in an hour, i would be expecting 2-3 if they know what they are doing unless it is very intricate