View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Another Glass tip thread?

Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
According to wiki pyrex is a brand name, though it seems used as a general term now a days. Originally it was borosilicate, but according to wiki they use tempered soda lime glass in the states and borosilicate in Europe. Dunno what lamp workers here are using here, every one I knew was lazy as hell and treated potential customers like crap. Probably why I would go to india instead of getting over charged.

As far as the sweat-shop spiel, it's not like children are slaving away with blow torches to make them. Morality wise, a lot of the hookahs floating around are chinese made but there's very little out-cry other then don't buy. Most glass products sold in the states are outsourced anyway.

Anyway, for something like that I'd expect to pay $2 or under from india per mouth piece which is a lot more affordable and realistic then paying $45 from a lamp worker in the states. Sure quality may suffer, but no one with a braincell is ever going to want to pay for something that's over twice the cost of a hose or a quarter of a price of an entire km.
So forcing people to work for a terrible wage is only immoral if it's children? Adults don't get the same courtesy.