View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Another Glass tip thread?

Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
I don't think most of the indian glass manufactures follow the trade as its passed down in history. They deal in producing bulk products with little creativity. That might be true for some glowers, but this is factory work.

And as far as everything you've said above, I've bought more complicated pieces for $2 bucks a pop and have sold them before for a couple 100% markup. My family regularly orders products from india, china, and other countries. Some of the best selling products we get are from a glass company in india that also specializes in custom work. If you want to say that it's impossible, that's fine with me man. I'd attach a catalog with prices but obviously I can't.

If you believe that artisan work has no market then you really need to take a look at the community you are in. We buy hookahs. An expensive luxury product. And most of us tend toward the hand made, quality pieces in all regards. I'll take my hand thrown Tangiers funnel bowl over any outsourced replica any day. Take a look at how long the jet glass funnels stick around on MNH. Hell, i just came back from a smith where I bought a hand forged dagger.

People like quality and those of us with an appreciation for it will always buy from someone who loves their work, cares about the artistry of it and deserves good pay for keeping art alive.

Now, why can't you post the products your family deals in?