View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hookah Nut
Default Nakhla Tropicana - it Vexes Me so...

I ordered some Nakhla Tropicana from John not long ago and I noticed when I emptied the pouch into a storage container it had the weirdest smell. Not a bad smell, like it was spoiled, but odd none the less. I've read reviews and watched reviews and they seem so mixed. Some love it, some hate it. Some say it tastes like grapefruit while others say it tastes like orange. I'm going with white grapefruit, because that's exactly what it smells like. That bitter, almost "earwax" funk of a white grapefruit when you first cut into it. I was of the impression it was going to be more like a citrus medley.

Because I was hoping to try it before too long I opened the container and took another wiff and it was a burn to the nostrils, eyes and back of my throat like you would not believe. The odor is so powerful I think it could strip the paint off my walls. So, I've set the open container out and away from where my dogs or kid can reach it and I'm stirring it every hour or so. I'm hoping acclimating it will tone it down a little. With that said, I'm not so optimistic about this. Three hours later it's still just as strong as it was, only now my entire upstairs smells like a bitter grapefruit.

Am I expecting something of this particular flavor that's just not possible? Is it as horrible tasting and as bitter as the smell? Don't get me wrong, I like grapefruit, but I've always been a fan of the sweeter Ruby Reds rather than the white ones. If the bitterness comes across that much in the smoke I may just throw it out or give it away or something. Any thoughts, advice?