View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hookah Master
Default Re: I don't know my facts

Well, Hajo doesn't inhale his smoke, and neither do I anymore, and prolonged extreme water vapor inhalation from what I know is pretty bad...

Here's an excerpt from a company that manufactures prop. glycol (not glycerol):
"Exposure to mists may cause eye irritation, as well as upper respiratory tract irritation.18 Inhalation of the PG vapors appears to present no significant hazard in ordinary applications. However, limited human experience indicates that inhalation of PG mists may be irritating to some individuals. Therefore inhalation exposure to mists of these materials should be avoided. In general, Dow does not support or recommend the use of PG in applications where inhalation exposure or human eye contact with the spray mists of these materials is likely, such as fogs for theatrical productions or antifreeze solutions for emergency eye wash stations.19 "

Studies of glycol inhalation on rats and various other toxicology studies pertaining to glycol additive in cigarettes also comes to the conclusion that glycol does not add any adverse health effects.

This brings us to the tobacco in Starbuzz/AF/Fantasia/etc. It would mean that this tobacco is simply used as a body or filler for the glycerol (with flavor bound to it) to stick to. SO some tobacco is burned of course, but mostly glycerol is vaporized. Glyercol contains a good amount of water as well, it is a humectant, meaning is it a hygroscopic substance, meaning it absorbs water from the air (that is why it is added to cigarettes, to keep them a bit moist).

Whether it is glycerol or prop. glycol added into hookah tobacco, tests have been conducted that come to the conclusion it is safe.

Last edited by ZenSilk; October 24th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.