View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hookah Guru
Default Re: A few questions about KM hookahs before I buy

Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Okay, I'm about ready to pick out a KM hookah, but before I do there are a few questions that I'm having difficulty finding the answers to.

First, with my Mya hookah, I clean it out each time it's used. It's easy because it comes apart and I can do it in the kitchen sink. It would appear that the KM hookahs don't come apart. Which, in my case, would make cleaning them each time a huge pain in the butt (especially during winter months). So, is it still necessary to clean the KM hookah each time, or can in be something that's done every couple weeks?
I smoke my KM about twice a day. I usually will dry brush it out at least once a day, usually in the morning before my first smoke, while the coals are heating. About once a week I give it a good wet scrub and wash all the crap out. Once a month it gets a full detailing and polish to keep the brass and copper shiny.

Second, the major reason I'd like a KM is because I hear tell that they have huge hose adapter gauges making the draw really easy. Is this true of all KM hookahs, or are there certain models I should be looking for?
As far as I know it's pretty universal. The tight draw is mostly an issue on your chinese pipes. They still haven't figured out how to make a great hookah.

Finally, I'm still not sure what the benefit of the hookah's size is. Especially once you get past like 24 inches. So, I suppose I'm wondering if there's any practical value in going for something bigger, or is it just the 'wow' factor?
Taller pipe = cooler smoke, at least in theory. In practice, anything over 30 inches or so is probably entering the land of diminishing returns. Although, I do like the height factor in that it keeps my young son from reaching for the coal. That, and in general, I prefer the aesthetic value of a taller pipe.