View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune
Default Re: Getting new base, how do I size?

Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Well, it depends how big a difference it is. If it's a little too small, you can sand down your grommet some. If it's too big, you could put some electrical tape under the grommet to make it a tad bigger.
That would work, although I hate ghetto rigging my hookahs. (tape and the like)

I really don't think it's going to matter. I suppose ideally you'd want it high enough above the bottom so that you can still add a decent amount of water without affecting your draw. But not so high you have to add a ton of water and thus cut into your smoke reservoir. An inch or two sounds fine to me. One of my hookahs only has about an inch of space at the bottom and it smokes great.
The base it originally came with had to have about 4 inches of water to get it over the downstem enough, but still smoked fine. I'm mostly worried about it being not enough water.

Yeah, that's always a concern. If I were you I'd look for something with a large footprint. The best you can usually do with the egyptian stuff is the classic vase. If you wanted to get creative and look for a different, but useable base elsewhere, you could probably find something with a nice big footprint, that will still work. SaharaSmoke has some cool bases that I've seen work on KM stems. (Although for the record, I would never recommend one of their hookahs, they rust).
The teardrop (no paint) base I linked is the same as the old base I had, and the sheer amount of water it had kept it pretty stable for smoking. I have a Sahara and while it didn't rust, it corroded and peeled. (I got one of the weird batch stems.) While I love the Sahara base with that stem, I personally feel that they look odd on a KM stem.

Personally, I'd stick with the regular rubber.
Regular rubber as in the black soft rubber like Sahara grommets, or the stiff assed rubber stuff that comes on a KM?

I think part of the reason I'm so worried about dimensions is because the old base shattered and was thrown out, I'm unable to measure it to check how tall, etc it was. I want it to smoke the way it used to...