View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: Tangiers Smeel slike Jack??? WHA??

Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Hopefully foibled comes on to explain it in a really intricate post... but until then, Tangiers has a water content, and when it is imbalanced, it smells off. letting it sit out helps the tobacco balance itself with the surrounding atmospheric conditions, eradicating the off flavors.
I've explained it in the past so if anybody actually cares to know why, just search for my posts.

Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I believe there's a secret RSS feed for the word "tangiers". Scoop used to be the usual Tangiers general but it seems foibled has taken his place
Secret RSS feed? I just click on quick menu -> Today's Post, and there's usually a thread about Tangiers among the ones I find interesting enough to click on. If there are questions that aren't being answered or something that I don't think is right, I chime in, mostly because from what I've seen during my short time here, Tangiers threads always have the same responses with little to no explanations.

Originally Posted by Crown Hookahs View Post
Exactly. Some flavors absolutely hate to acclimate, they fight you and make you plan ahead to smoke. Some flavors love it. Kashmir Peach has NEVER needed to acclimate for me, neither has Blue Gumball, Kashmir Cherry, Mimon, Mint, Horchata, and probably a half dozen more. Clove, Vanilla, Green Apple Candy, require constant attention.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about concerning the alcohol smell to the Green Apple Candy, it smelled like green apple vodka or something weird like that. Honestly, if you get past the smell, and just smoke it, 99% of the time you'll like it. You just have to get used to packing a very dense amount of tobacco and using minimal heat, this is why I love japanese (not made in china) coals. Low, even amounts of heat for an hour or so.

For those that are having an extremely hard time acclimating, Eric actually recommended a few methods, the first is acclimate for 4 hours, seal for 20 hours. If that doesn't work, put it in the freezer for a few hours, pull it out and acclimate it. (I never thought I'd hear Eric tell me to put tobacco in the freezer, but hey, Hell has to drop a few degrees eventually.)
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
acclimating isn't the hard part, it's when you realize the 250g you just bought WONT acclimate for no damn reason is what gets to you. blue gum ball, cool strawberry, and blackthorn would not acclimate at all. smelled like shit, tasted like shit. I like Tangiers, but that's just fuckin annoying.
It seems to me the flavors that people tend to have issues the most with are the lighter ones, like the ones you guys mentioned. It's hard to distinguish between those with actual acclimation issues and those who don't know how those flavors really do smell and are expecting something along the lines of the strongest Tangiers flavors. If they taste like shit though, then yeah something's wrong assuming it's not really just a packing or heat issue.

Freezing removes water from the tobacco. Think of it as a reset button to start the acclimation process all over.

Personally I try to stay away from "how do I acclimate" threads because I don't experience it. I notice changes in flavors from humidity changes (ie one component becoming the more dominant flavor) but never the unsmokeable stuff.