View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hookah Newbie
Send a message via AIM to Nakura18 Send a message via MSN to Nakura18 Send a message via Skype™ to Nakura18
Default Re: Opening up a Lounge

As to what blacklit has said, we took the average price of the hookahs we were looking at such as a 26inch Hookahs to 32 inch Hookahs. Although we will definitely have to look back into that section. Especially with the MYA referral you gave me, thank you so much. I will have to look into working with MYA one on one as well as the shisha brands to work on prices and see how things go from there!

As for $1.50 for 250g is crazy, we're in Iraq currently but due to safety issues we're not allowed going into normal Iraqi shops such as hookah lounges. We are restricted to Bazaars and lounges that have opened up on some camps. We've payed maybe $4 for 250g of Al Fakher, $1 for 50g. Bazaars have caught on that us Americans pay more back at home for shisha so they have adjusted their prices to reflect that. I am sure that off of camp and in a original Iraqi town the prices are much cheaper.

Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I'm currently a part of a small circle of entrepreneurs who are researching the hookah-lounge business. We're far from being ready to launch and we're considering the set up in a very different area, serving a very different demographic. However, it seems wise to keep in mind that, depending where in Virginia you're looking, there are a lot of lounges there already. The vast majority of those are mediocre at best.

I would bet that most of those aren't turning much of a profit. I suspect that if you approach the endeavor looking to cut all the corners you can, you're going to end up with another mediocre lounge, instead of a great one, which it might be with a little extra TLC and capital.

Just about every time I visit a lounge in the VA area, I'm constantly noticing tiny little things that could be adjusted to better the customer's experience. But instead, they're little things that add up to me not wanting to return to that lounge. In my opinion, the hookah lounge is an excellent idea and a great market, but it needs a kind of renaissance to really be profitable.

So, all I'm suggesting is that perhaps looking for the lowest possible entry cost isn't the best idea. Raising capital and looking for private investors could potentially offer you the opportunity to be just that much better than rest of the guys out there giving you the chance to suck away their business.
Like Bassem has said before, it really isn't how much money you put into it but rather what you make of it. You can easily shell out 50K+ into a lounge but do it all wrong. It's not all about luxury and I understand what you're saying because VA is a competitive place for Hookah lounges because of the amount of them. However, location is a big aspect and we have accounted for that as well as done our own research on where to open up. Our goal isn't just to be just a hookah lounge, but THE hookah lounge. We know what we're striving for and knowing that makes it a lot easier to work for. A majority of hookah lounges open up just to be able to supply an area to clients who wish to smoke hookah, but it isn't just about that. It's more about giving that area and making it worthwhile to come back. The location of the place, the feel of the atmosphere, how we interact with the customers like they are people/friends rather than just profit. They are so many aspects to account for! But thank you for all the replies! Especially the referral from Blacklit!