View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hookah Newbie
Exclamation Tasteless Shisha

A couple weeks ago, I got a new hookah from hookah-shisha and have been slowly breaking it in.

The problem I have run into is that I have found that shisha is generally tasteless.

So far I've tried two romman flavors (rose and berry melon) as well as starbuzz blue mist and fusion guava.

I get great smoke, no harsh, but just no taste.

I'm packing loosely, below the edge of the bowl, and when inspecting the bowl post smoke, I can see the shisha is getting baked (but not burning and sticking to the foil). I also mix the shisha well with the juice before packing.

I'm using a standard Egyptian bowl, 1 layer of HD foil (shiny side down), with plenty of small, evenly spaced holes. I'm using 1 Golden Coals QL (2 is too hot) and I wait for it to ash over before setting it on top. I've alternated with and without a windcover.

There are no air leaks and I'm using a Nammor hose (which I have had for about a year). I have cleaned the hookah with vinegar, baking soda, and a long stem brush. I'm using ice (with the water) in the base.

I've smoked hookah on and off for about 6 years, so I know what it *should* taste like.

I don't smoke cigarettes.

I am going to get some coco nara coals and a vortex bowl, to see if this solves my problem, yet I can't help but expect at least some taste on my current setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? It's just driving me crazy.