Thread: Vortex: Round 2
View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hookah Enthusiast
Default Re: Vortex: Round 2

Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Vortex rocks! It is the real deal .. no hype about it. I can tell you plenty of products that are "hyped" (see number 4 below) .. Vortex is definitely not one of them!

You said "I see what the hype is all about now." I have to clear you and a ton of others on the definition of hype though .. hype is a very bad word and used improperly by billions of people.

hype 1 (hp) Slang n.1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job" (Saturday Review).
3. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'" (New York).
4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies" (Joel Oppenheimer).
I don't think hype was the wrong word choice for me. It seems like the vortex bowl gets the most publicity here and is very popular. However, when someone asks what bowl to get, 75% are vortex and then there are disputes for Tangiers phunnel and egypitian. So there is hype around the vortex in that aspect.

What I meant by my hype though is number 2. I got my first vortex and was excited to be trying it out. I had heard all these extravagant claims that this bowl is awesome. After smoking out of it 3 times, I felt it was exaggerated by y'all. Now that I have one that isn't defective, I see that the extravagant claims you guys made about it are true.

And if that's not a good explanation and I am off my mark, i mean it is Friday today and I am looking forward to the weekend then I correct it to say:

I see what all the fuss is about!

Merriam-Webster defines fuss as excitement.
My Videos
Favorite Tobacco: Desi Murli, Salloum, Cleopatra, Nakhla, Afzal
Favorite Rigs: Syrian Glyph, KM Silk Butterfly, KM Carnival, KM Kafe, SS Czar, Mini MYA
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir