View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: how about the ed hardy

Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Yeah, I'm not really defending the hookah. I would never buy it and I'd advise others against it because there are really excellent hookahs for less than half the price. I'm more just saying that it's not as unreasonable as this thread seems to make it. Provided the hookah doesn't rust and is capable of smoking well, both of which are probably true, then it's not all that crazy. Lots of industries do this kind of thing in order to market to a very specific niche. What makes this strange is that we, as hookah smokers, are already a pretty narrow niche. The Ed Hardy hookah is narrowing that down ever more.

They're not making a hookah for all of us, they're making one for the incredibly small niche of hookah smokers who are also big Ed Hardy fans. When you do something like that, an inflated price tag is inevitable, but not unreasonable.

It's all about what they're marketing and what their market will buy. In this case, I don't think they're primarily marketing a hookah. And in my book as a business man, that's okay.
Well I don't want to restate why I don't like EH stuff as far as narghiles go but you do raise some good points. First of all I won't buy Chinese stuff if I can because I don't want my money being used to support slavery and communism. As for people buying trendy stuff and paying too much for labels well, I am against it personally but if someone else wishes to do so I won't rag on them for what they choose. In the end people are free to piss away money on over priced junk and demonstrate what little sense they have.

As to quality I would guess that EH rigs are as good as anything coming out of China which is to say it's cheesy and it will soon fall a part. Still, the sort of people that would buy EH stuff likely won't stick with the hobby for more then a year so junk should be just fine as far they are concerned.

As for reaching new markets I suppose I don't view it as progress that such a grand thing as our hobby becomes hip in the eyes of high school girls or people that want to prove how fashionable they are. Obviously I can't stop dolts turning our hobby into something insipid but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call a spade a spade and say that such things are negative.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; January 20th, 2010 at 02:45 AM.