View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Proposed Bill to Raise Federal Tax on Pipe Tobacco

Originally Posted by foibled View Post
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a thread posted here about this yet but here is what brought it up from the most recent Ed Hardy thread:

For those too lazy to click and read the link, a proposed tax bill is currently in the hands of the House Committee on Ways and Means that will increase the Federal tax on pipe tobacco from $2.8311 per pound to $24.78 per pound. The intent is to make the tax on pipe tobacco the same as roll-your-own tobacco to close the door on many roll-your-own makers that have been selling their products as pipe tobacco to avoid the high taxes that got hiked up last year. As far as hookah tobacco goes, this will increase the Federal tax on 250g by $13.66.

edit: Just so there is no confusion, the bill is only proposed. It is not something that has passed and will happen, yet. If you want to join in on spamming your Congressman/women & Senators in hopes they will actually listen, here are some links to help you:
My quote you cited is out of context in that I was referring to a high price being justified if the quality was commensurate. Needless to say I am totally opposed to yet another tax increase because I object to the state forcing me to stop doing something I enjoy based on junk science. The more oppressive the tax the less revenue it will generate and the more jobs it will destroy. However, the fact is that tobacco users are not well organized and are basically apathetic so I am sure that this tax increase will happen with no more resistance then any of the others that came before it.