View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hookah Master
Default Re: At Wits End with quality, Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Well yes I know what constitutes defects in glass production since I have had to manage a glass production line in the past. I have seen all of those problems in glass from everywhere but I don't think it's fair when so much great KM vases have satisfied so many people to deem Egyptian products as crap. Personally I have found Syrian to generally have higher quality but then with anything mass produced you can't assume that you'll get a decent product. As to joints well, my Syrians are drawn for the most part and what few points they have are well done and welded. My KMs also have well done joints.
well looking at the 2 KM vases i have, after seeing all the complaints around here and talking to a few vendors it seems that these defects are the norm. most people i have talked to that are "satisfied" with their bases still say they have these issues but they are not bothered by them (IMHO because they do not understand what causes said defects and how lazy/carless the production shops are that let this junk out). if you have managed a glass production line then you would understand how easy these things are to prevent and know it is not acceptable for these to get out. this idea that mass produced, hand made items mean you wont get consistency is idiotic and is way to common place here in the hookah community. since these vases are mold blown the uneven thickness is due to the gaffer not setting up their bubble well, which is just lazy, its not hard to set up a bubble to blow into a freaking mold.

Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Um, you've got to be kidding me. You bring up all Syrians when I was specifically talking about AFs. AF hookahs, both first and second generation, are soldered and plated. If your "extensive experience" leads you to disagree with that, then your "extensive experience" is plagued by a lack of knowledge. KMs have the same design chambers as AFs. I don't care what you want to call it, traditional, closed & tubed, whatever, they are functionally the same.

Also, if you have any of your Syrians still, please take pictures of these so called welds. There are MAJOR differences between soldering and welding. I have yet to see or hear of any hookah that is welded and not soldered, Syrian or Egyptian. Just because people incorrectly call them welds does not make them so. Anybody with any knowledge of welding and brazing can easily tell the difference.
i honestly dont see why one would weld brass, i see references to it on line but i dont see how it works out since the zinc will burn off when heated hot enough to melt the brass. brazing would require a lot of clean up on brass too since again the zinc burns off and you get a copper plating, most of the hookahs use cheap plumbing/low temp solder