View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Default Re: Sahara Smoke... *sigh*

Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
the reason for that is other hookah manufacturers like KM, MZ, etc. try to keep the more traditional look my good sir... SS just has modernized (pretty) bases... im sure the more traditional manufacturers can make pretty bases to but would rather put more work into the stems and keep them more umm how can i say this.. not suckish? lol

i would rather have a quality stem and a plain traditional base than a crappy stem and a beautiful base..

nuh mean?
I think I disagree with this.

Virtually all egyptian bases are identical in shape. Some are more durable than others, but the fact that there's almost not deviation whatsoever leads me to believe that there's probably just a handful of suppliers making bases in various colors. Then, I'd bet companies like AF and KM buy up the nicer ones and custom decorate them.

But KM, for example, already has the art of an excellent smoke down pat. Yet every year they come out with new designs. This is purely to keep us interested aesthetically.

If this is all true, then it's unlikely that they don't care about the bases because they're spending all their time making great stems. There's probably some other third factor that we're missing. Maybe for companies in the UAE it's a lot more expensive to produce custom glass, whereas a company like Sahara Smoke can mass produce it by other means.

Just speculation really, but this seems to make more sense to me.