View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Deleted Per User Request
Default Re: Is this the right way to shed light on Hookah in college?!

Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
I know lots of smokers who do that on the regular.

I dunno, I know in theory it should be addictive, but I'm just not that convinced that it actually is in practice. I mean, there are lots of studies that show that only a fraction of the addictiveness in cigarettes is the actual substance. The rest is a hodge-podge of different things. Like the convenience and oral fixation. Which is also part of the reason the nicotine patches are only pseudo effective in helping people quit.

It seems pretty plausible to me that between the pipe, bowl and coal preparation being something of an involved process, and it being nearly impossible to do when you're out and about, smokers aren't likely to develop the same psychological dependencies they'd get from cigarettes. And if that's the case, it may be chemically addictive, but ultimately a lot less addictive than other tobaccos.

That hypothesis seems to jive pretty well with our local circle of smoker's experience.
The addictive myth to hookah is just that, a myth. I smoke approximately 2-5 bowls a day during my normal time off. However, I've had to go on vacations, business trips, or just plain been out of supplies for periods of 2 weeks to a month. I never get the jitters, I never go "MUST... HAVE... HOOKAH... NOW..."

Addiction has far more involved within the brain than nicotine. Hookah is only as addictive as you let it become.

Edit: I should also note that I had probably a two-month period where I just plain didnt smoke, went from my normal 2-5 a day to 0 a day for two months. Wasnt out of town, had a full stock of supplies. Dont see many "addicts" able to drop their habit for 2 months without the urge to start back up in a much shorter time span. *shrug*

Last edited by HookahWaffle; March 1st, 2010 at 10:46 AM.