View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hookah Guru
Default Re: Well it is handmade...

Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Ferrari is hand crafted and that hand crafting expects a premium for quality. Ferrari's are perfection done at the hand of artists. By no means is KM a Ferrari but hand crafted in reference to KM means poor craftsmanship but "A good smoke". In essence, the hand crafted is complete BS because a machine could make the exact KM product and probably do it a lot better (maybe not cheaper however).

KM could take strides to improve but the only thing they are going to see is $$$ until we impact their bottom line, nothing will change. So until then, expect hand crafted to mean "looks like shit, smokes great".

Maybe I need to get into the Hookah business here. I could sell hookahs that look like recycled car parts but as long as it smokes great, people will pay $100+ for the product. I mean that is basically what some of you guys are saying, right?
The problem, as I have said before, is money.

Think of the amount of pipes that KM makes. They take the time to make each one by hand. Now, if you want a more polished product, you're going to increase the amount of time it takes to produce a single pipe, likely doubling it. Finish and polish is the most time consuming part of metalworking.

So, they could produce pipes that look perfect, but you'd be looking at pipes that cost twice as much and a much smaller portion of them on the market.

Originally Posted by Hayter View Post

So if AF can make something that is 99% perfect, why cant KM?

Once again, it's a numbers game. I'm willing to bet that for every AF pipe on these boards there's at least ten KM's. If demand for AF pipes spikes the way that it has for KM's (Which wouldn't surprise me at all), I'd expect you'd see a similar trend in the quality.