View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Spiced Desi Murli

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Nutmeg is very hard and brittle. The most common way to use it is shaving it down with a rasp. If you want to be able to remove it later I would suggest using a piece of cheese cloth and smashing the nutmeg into piece. It my only add a little flavor in this way if any at all.
I thought about this too, but the cheesecloth would absorb too much of the already mixed in liquid ingredients I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Or use a nutmeg syrup of some kind. Could also try soaking the nutmeg in glycerin or break it up into manageable pieces and toss it in for removal later.

http://www.weberflavors.com/LiquidFlavors.htm

Look under Nutmeg Natural
How true to flavor would you think this would taste? From my experience with flavorings, commercial flavorings are always a bit off, and I would probably want to use something that's more like an extract, for flavor quality and strength mainly. Any idea where I would be able to find an extract maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
this is a really cool idea Zen. Actually tobacco is notorious for absorbing odors so maybe you dont have shave or grind the nutmeg, if you can place a big enough piece in with the rest of the spices (Kal's cheescloth idea is awesome) i think the tobacco would absorb the scent/taste of the nutmeg in the months time.
What I'm thinking, about the nutmeg, is that I can get something that shaves off larger chunks, like maybe the larget side of a cheese grater?