View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: this is the worst thing that could ever happen to us hookah smokers.

Originally Posted by oSPANNERo View Post
I may have found the answer to my own question. Found it here under "Does this bill include pipe tobacco?"

A2: Throughout the bill, it refers to cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. Under "Section 1. Definitions", both terms are defined. If you'll refer to that section, you'll see that smokelss tobacco is "intended to be placed in the oral or nasal cavity or otherwise consumed without being combusted." So that wouldn't apply to pipe tobacco.

For the definition of a cigarette, the bill refers to section 2341 of title 18, United States Code, which itself focuses on two things, a roll of tobacco wrapped in paper or any substance not containing tobacco (which incidentally leaves cigars out), and that due to form and appearance is likely to be offered to consumers as a cigarette.

Which leaves the reference to "roll-your-own tobacco." The bill refers to the definition in section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. That definition doesn't apply to pipe tobacco either: "The term ?roll-your-own tobacco? means any tobacco which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling, is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes." As added evidence of this, that section of the Internal Revenue Code has a separate definition of pipe tobacco.
Thats what I found, sorry, I went to sleep