View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: this is the worst thing that could ever happen to us hookah smokers.

Hey guys I found this article. Check it out:

Well, seems there is some good new swirling around our little community. It appears that all of the efforts by the pipe smoking community and others may have paid off. The following is a bulletin straight from the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) dated today, Feb. 26, 2010 (Thank You Smokers Forum for bringing this to my attention):
"At this time, H.R. 4439, proposed federal legislation to increase the pipe tobacco tax to the same rate of the RYO tax, has little life or attention in Congress. Lobbyists from the IPCPR the Pipe Tobacco Council (a division of the Cigar Association of America (CAA)), and others have met with key members of Congress to discuss and detail our industry’s opposition to the bill. H.R. 4439 is currently sitting in the U.S. House of Representatives’ Ways & Means Committee. No hearings or further action has been scheduled at this time nor do we expect any immediate action. Several more meetings are scheduled with Congress in the coming days. "
It seems evident that FOR THE MOMENT, we can continue on in our hobby without fear of being taxed to death. I do urge everyone to continue to be diligent, keep abreast of all that is happening. I think we need to look at this as a lesson that complacency could lead to our downfall. Gone are the days that we can relax with our pipes and puff away without a care in the world. If we want to continue that puffing, we need to be ready for the next attack, and rest assured, there will be another.
You can keep your eyes peeled here for more information, though I know this particular tidbit circulated long before I got a chance to mention it.