View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: are the aliens over prices??

Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
Apples to oranges my friend. Santino is doing glass work. That is in a league of its own and believe with the quality of his products it could be more. John has a freaking bowl like everyone else. It is just smaller for shorter sessions. No reason to have it at $20. You can get an Egyptian bowl for $3 and a vortex for $10. Why spend $20?
I am not contesting if you should spend $20 on a bowl. That is back to the "Should I buy a Ferrari or Corvette" idea.

I am simply saying that small batch production costs a lot of money. And even thousands of units can be considered "small batch."

For example I recently priced out T-Shirts for my unit with a logo on the back. They were $15-$25 each depending on the vendor and quantity ordered. In that case why don't I go to Old Navy and buy a 5 dollar t-shirt? Because I am not producing Thousands/millions of t-shirts and I want them made to my specifications. The design cost is spread over a lower number of items. The "factory" has to retool frequently since they are producing many designs. They also have to carry more raw materials since they are making a multitude of different designs at any given time. Not to mention all my labor is here in the US where there is minimum wage and higher cost of materials and production. All of these costs are passed down to the consumer.

A very similar concept is when we talk about a single bowl of shisha costing $25 at a hookah bar. It was expressed very eloquently in a different thread but we have to look beyond the cost of the actual shisha vs. the whole operation.

I agree we are talking apples and oranges but I think its more of the "Alien" Apple vs the "Egyptian" Orange.
34" Km Americana Trimetal, KM Jumbo Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Blue v3 Narbish, CH "Blue Lollipop" Tip
24" Solid Al Fakher, AF hose, MNH Phunnel
30" Solid Al Fakher, AF Hose, Vortex, Blue v3 Narbish, "The Circus" Crown Hookahs Tip
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip