View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Hookah Guru
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

In relation to all of this, I find it interesting the way people respond when offered a truly liberating real life experience.

Let's continue with the moassel analogy, as it's already been the framework of discussion and it's something we're all familiar with.

We've got a vast majority of people here who are into smoking the modern stuff. Be it Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Epic, What have you. However, when Soft black hit the market, it was big news. The recent boom in popularity of Desi Murli is an even more relevant example. Even more so would be the number of people clamoring over the small volume of The Pride of Al Qimishli which you have so graciously provided us with.

Once the veil of mindless consumerism is ripped away, people become intrigued with what lies behind it. Something real. Something that stands on it's own quality without an artifically inflated price or dolled-up packaging. For a fleeting moment, they are awakened to the reality that is the depth of the world. A temporary escape from the pressure of being force-fed the soma.

Ignited, I'd like to say something to you in response, as it would seem Hajo and I are of like mind:

I think you mistake the rejection of multiculturalism as a rejecting of differing cultures, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Hajo has more real-world experience dealing with a multitude of different world cultures than anyone else on this board. We don't reject cultures, or even the interaction of cultures. It's not xenophilia, rather it's a desire to protect those cultures and that which makes them unique. This modern idea of multiculturalism has brought Mickey Mouse to Paris, KFC to Mecca, and Hookahs to China (And we all know how abysmal those are!).

It's got nothing to do with isolating oneself from other peoples. It's got everything to do with making sure those people stay who they are, rather than becoming clones of ourselves.