View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

What Iíve noted is that people squawking about the glories of diversity use the term to promote the notion that the formerly Western World should be less Western and more reflective of either the anti-culture or various non-Western culture. They never seem to suggest that a non Western society needs more Europeans or to be less like what ever the indigenous culture has made it to be. As a result the diversity proponents actually are unconsciously either cultural nihilists, Bolshevists or ethnic advocates and as such they confuse homogenization with diversity. Personally I find quite a lot to commend in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and a wide range of Asian cultures and fail to see any fault within those cultures so severe that they need to accommodate themselves to either the moribund and rapidly dying West or to the banalities of the anti-culture.
As to the moassel analogy that started off this thread and Coyoteroís take on it Iíd say that yes, when one experiences something real rather then something contrived it can be a sort of epiphany like revelation (to put it crassly) because itís honest, simple a reflects something that has been largely lost to use. For me the craftsmanship that goes into real moassel is as appealing as the taste that remind one something other then food or drinks one can get anywhere.
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post

In relation to all of this, I find it interesting the way people respond when offered a truly liberating real life experience.

Let's continue with the moassel analogy, as it's already been the framework of discussion and it's something we're all familiar with.

We've got a vast majority of people here who are into smoking the modern stuff. Be it Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Epic, What have you. However, when Soft black hit the market, it was big news. The recent boom in popularity of Desi Murli is an even more relevant example. Even more so would be the number of people clamoring over the small volume of The Pride of Al Qimishli which you have so graciously provided us with.

Once the veil of mindless consumerism is ripped away, people become intrigued with what lies behind it. Something real. Something that stands on it's own quality without an artifically inflated price or dolled-up packaging. For a fleeting moment, they are awakened to the reality that is the depth of the world. A temporary escape from the pressure of being force-fed the soma.

Ignited, I'd like to say something to you in response, as it would seem Hajo and I are of like mind:

I think you mistake the rejection of multiculturalism as a rejecting of differing cultures, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Hajo has more real-world experience dealing with a multitude of different world cultures than anyone else on this board. We don't reject cultures, or even the interaction of cultures. It's not xenophilia, rather it's a desire to protect those cultures and that which makes them unique. This modern idea of multiculturalism has brought Mickey Mouse to Paris, KFC to Mecca, and Hookahs to China (And we all know how abysmal those are!).
It's got nothing to do with isolating oneself from other peoples. It's got everything to do with making sure those people stay who they are, rather than becoming clones of ourselves.