View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
so im just going to go out and ask this before i start, shouldnt this be in serious discussion?
i dont think im really going any where with any of this, just responding to everything i am seeing here

Well yes Matt, obviously this thread as gone far beyond molasses, and more than 80% of the discussion would rather fit the "serious discussion".
Now as many others already pointed out, I would say we have read many an interesting comment or reflexion. Very interesting thread!
Now it might appear that some of us are so to speak against "Progress"... Without going into a deep philosophical discussion, I would just say that as far as I am concerned, this would be far from the truth. I would just like more people to know and respect the past (or for that matter, other cultures), the Centuries long experience of our forbearers (or other cultures), instead of believing that everything new, modern and Western(ized) or "global" has to be better. Above all, I think some of us would like more and more people to appreciate real quality, complexity, and to learn and respect the rituals around smoking a narghile, or eating a given type of food. Some pleasures take some time to be appreciated, and would be more so if one respects and enjoys the rituals. As an example: How many times does the question of how to lit natural charcoal appear on fora such as these? Now, is this a problem in middle eastern countries? The answer I think is NO. In Tunisia people would go out, on their balcony or garden (if they didn't have a kitchen using gas, or charcoal) and use a traditional clay brazier (brasero in Spanish or French or kanoun in Arabic), which would be a brass mangal in Egypt or Turkey, where they put some paper,some hay and wood, and then the coals. They lit it and use traditional fan to accelerate the process of igniting the coals. It takes around 25 minutes, but is part of the ritual. It is simple and cheap! The same happens with making good coffee. It takes some time and some effort, thus requires some patience and some love for what we are doing. Well Nespresso might be interesting, and might be a progress, same as expresso machines where an innovation when they appeared. We should be able to choose our way, being well informed about products and processes. I prefer to use a coffee grinder, and a "traditional" expresso machine... I just do not know what goes into the Nespresso capsules. It tastes ok, but... Some might argue that I cannot be sure about the quality of the coffee grains I buy... and the discussion will go on an on.. I like to take a couple of minutes to make coffee, while trying to understand what goes into the process, instead of pressing a button...

Last edited by Hookah-burdar; April 18th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.