View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hookah Guru
Default Re: Copper or aluminium hookah ?

Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
copper is poisonous if its too hot? this is news to me and ive been working with copper for a solid 2 years in school and worked with it before school and never gotten one warning about over heating copper, now zinc and lead ya but i dont see how copper could be bad unless you get it to boil off which is very very hot.

as to copper vs AL. copper patinas over time and is naturally anti bacterial AL gains a layer of al oxide and stops corroding pretty fast but the layer comes off very easily usually (at least on some of the simple alloys) if the al is anodized then it is sealed and is much more durable... however heating AL can really mess with the temper

realistically, there probably is very little difference in functionality for a hookah, the AL's temper is more temperamental (no pun intended) but the copper might be softer, for hookah use its not really an issue

I've not worked personally with copper to any extent, but I've been led to understand that at high temperatures (Really higher than the hookah should get) toxins (Zinc maybe?) can be released in gaseous form.

However, I am no expert in the matter.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.