View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: The 17" Bracket Hookah

Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
It's not art, it's kitschy, mass-produced Chinese junk. It is the antithesis of art. It destroys art.

The difference is one is hand made using time-honored methods by real artisans, the other is made as cheaply as possible by underpaid, overworked sweatshop laborers. A traditional pipe will give it's owner many years of service, this piece of crap probably would function only minimally out of the box.

The traditional pipes of the mideast follow a common design pattern because it's a functionally perfect design refined and perfected over centuries of dedicated artistry.

This thing looks like it was designed with absolutely no thought towards purpose. It's only purpose is to make a quick dollar of the ignorant, functionality does not enter into the equation.
The design is functionally perfect? People thought think things are perfect all the time, until they get replaced by someones innovation. I'm not saying THIS is the innovation, but just because it's been around doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. At least these guys are trying something new, to make a buck or otherwise, it spurs innovation.

Mass produced or otherwise, it is still art. You may think it's Kitschy junk, but then again you aren't the definitive word on "what is art", are you? I'm not either by any means, but I think it looks neat and artsy, and obviously someone else did too or it wouldn't be on that site.

I understand the medium in which this narghile (which I hesitate to call it) was fashioned is subpar to an egyptian model, but that doesn't mean it's any less artistic. The function may not be there, but the form definitely is.