View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hookah Guru
Default Re: The 17" Bracket Hookah

Originally Posted by EvanW View Post
The design is functionally perfect? People thought think things are perfect all the time, until they get replaced by someones innovation. I'm not saying THIS is the innovation, but just because it's been around doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. At least these guys are trying something new, to make a buck or otherwise, it spurs innovation.
It's not innovation, it's a step backwards.

As to functional perfection with a traditional pipe, you have a vertical, wide-gauge stem that allows the vapors to adequately cool while also allowing easy cleanup and little to no wear with proper use. The traditional chamber is easy to clean while once again being resistant to wear and allowing proper purging ( Vs. the modern "innovations" of common and plated chambers, both of which fail in every respect listed here). You have a thick glass bottle which is heavy enough to provide ample stability with enough room to allow the water to smooth the vapors properly.

The design of the traditional pipe is, in a word, flawless. If you or anyone else can find a way to improve that, I'll be duly impressed. I am not saying it's impossible, but I will say it is highly unlikely. People have been innovating on this design for five centuries, and I think it's safe to say that it has likely reached it's apex.

Necessity is the mother of invention. New styles of tobacco have brought about change in some aspects (Such as the vortex/funnel bowl designs) but the function of the pipe itself remains unchanged.

Originally Posted by EvanW View Post
Mass produced or otherwise, it is still art. You may think it's Kitschy junk, but then again you aren't the definitive word on "what is art", are you? I'm not either by any means, but I think it looks neat and artsy, and obviously someone else did too or it wouldn't be on that site.

I understand the medium in which this narghile (which I hesitate to call it) was fashioned is subpar to an egyptian model, but that doesn't mean it's any less artistic. The function may not be there, but the form definitely is.
As far as art goes, I'd be willing to concede it's artistry were it constructed by hand or showed some other form of artistic merit. It doesn't even contain original parts, just random parts of other crap chinese hookahs stuck to a coal carrier. Welding some spare hookah parts to a coal carrier may count as art by your own definition but for my taste it doesn't pass muster.

Feel free to carry on with your own opinions, I am simply stating mine. And when someone comes up with a new and radical design for a pipe that changes the way we smoke, let me know, I'll get you a beer.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.