View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hookah Aficionado
Default Re: Help me pick my first hookah please :)

Originally Posted by unirox13 View Post
First off, sorry about all the newbie questions that I'm about to ask but I really enjoy being educated on a subject before seriously jumping into it. I'va been smoking hookah about a year now and have have decided to purchase my own. I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

Now for a few random questions. What is a phunnel bowl and what makes it different/more special than a regular bowl? Also what are some oher types of bowls and what are pros and cons of them?
Is KM pretty much the top of the line hookah on the market today?

Now for my potential hookah choices. Please give me pros and cons of each of these and tell me which you think would be best. Also I plan on getting a nammor hose to use with whichever hookah I get so of you could tell me whether or not the nammor hose would work with these I'd be much obliged. Last but not least, if you decide to recommend a hookah I don't have on my list could you please post a link to it.

Mya qt

nammor azizi

km tefnut

Thank you all so much for your input and dealing with my newbie-ness, I really appreciate it
Here we go! :3

Phunnel holds the juices of the tobacco in the tobacco due to shape of the bowl. It also increases surface area which gives more precision in heat management. A con to the phunnel is learning curve (Foil) and tobacco usage, which both have a work around(Alien, binder clips). It is my favorite bowl. Google the Alien Phunnel Bowl if you want to preserve some tobacco but keep the perks of the phunnel. Also, some miniclip binder clips work to hold the foil if you can't do it too well yourself.
The vortex is another favorite around here. It similar to the phunnel in the way that is a juice preserver. I, personally, do not like how deep it is. The holes have a certain inconsistency, some are lower, which complicates packing and also, if the holes are low enough, is detrimental to the design. Although it is on the easier side to learn to use.
I don't think the crown bowl is for sale anymore, so I won't go into that on

KM is the fanboy favorite, with a seemingly blind following here. It is a great smoker with erratic quality, which is a huge bummer IMO. Again, I'm not not recommending a KM, I just want you to know there are equally good smokers as KM with a better distribution of quality. (syrian brass for instance!)

I think the Nammor would be the best catch for a starting hookah. The pharaoh looks really lame IMO. Also the nammor comes with the Nammor hose, which is a good deal. QT is fine, but I think the overall quality of the nammor is better.