View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: shisha becoming illegal?

the whole entire gateway concept in my opinion does not account for a behavioral predisposition.

What i am saying is that a kid might smoke hookah, and move on to cigarettes, ****, and whatever else. But who ever said it wasn't in the kid's attitude to start any other one of those. Yes it's appealing to those of younger age. But I also know many that smoke hookah and refuse to smoke cigarettes or anything else (I'm 22). If kids want to get high, they will find a way. Period.

If they try to ban shisha, i think a snowball effect would be to say that coffee is a gateway because it contains the stimulant caffeine. Then to soda.

If they really want to make a difference about it they need to hit it farther down the line and crack down on tobacco shops and the parents who are supplying their kids. I am not saying that I mind those under 18 smoking hookah, it is just that if they find some inherent problem with it, they need to approach it that way.

Also take into account how much crime is caused by hookah. Hookah is such a relaxing agent that if anything the kids will slow down and just chill. It is commercially available and although it is a controlled substance to some extent, it's not like any narcotic or any other illegal drug that you would have to go through someone shady to get it. You can't really be charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence of it, only the traffic violations that you commit.

The health factors are better than that of cigarettes for the most part.

I guess what I am getting at with the whole kid thing is that there are a lot.. i mean a ton of stupid kids out there. Stupid kids do stupid things. Hell we were all stupid to some extent when we were kids. If kids are going to be stupid they are going to do so in a big way. You can't blame the means, only the person in control of the end.

Sometimes I think you gotta let people screw up on their own. They won't learn any other way, and assuming you didn't screw up the same way, you look better than they do.