View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Default Re: Having hookah trouble

Surprisingly I was once in your shoes kinda. When i was first introduced to hookah, i was shown to only poke 5 holes(one hole per hole in your bowl) about a half inch in width, and to use the poker to make a tunnel kinda to the holes on bowl to get airflow.

IGNORE WHAT YOU JUST READ!! ITS COMPLICATED AND MOSTLY WRONG!!

OK. no pack you bowl fluffy, just sprinkle some shisha on there. add foil. poke holes depending on you bowl(theres lots of ways, and i think theres a thread on just hole patterns)
This is what i do personanly.

Vortex: 3 circles( holes about a centemeter apart) from the outside to the inside spire
Egyptian/mod: "Swirl" pattern till you end up with a dot in the middle. so poke around the outside and when you get back to the starting point, start poking a bit more in, then follow just inside of the face ring you made creating a Swirl. Also when you pack these types of bowls a cool trick it to stick your poker(toothpick, or the one on tongs) up the bottom of the bowl and through the holes. just straight up and down to loose up the pack a bit and give you better airflow. to check it blow through the bottom and you should be able to hear the flow.
Phunnel: 2/3 Rings depending on how much airflow i want. One single hole in the middle down the spire.

SIDE NOTE: DO NOT PUT COALS ON THE MIDDLE OF THE VORTEX AND PHUNNEL

as ride said, it doesnt really matter what pattern you use. people use them as a constant. if your trying a new shisha, you want to keep everything the same as a normal session so you know your judging the shisha on the shisha and not on the lack of airflow or vice versa.

patterns are really just a nice way of remembering how to poke hole to get even airflow all the time.

cheers